Monday, August 6, 2007

Winter requires chimarrao


I know the winter is almost over in this part of the world and slow as I am, only today I had my first chimarrao of the year.

For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, chimarrao is the typical drink amongst the gauchos. Ok, let's slow down a bit. Gauchos are people who live in the Pampas which is where the best meat of the world come from. This area is located in the south of Brazil, North of Argentina and Uruguay. Geography lessons a part, chimarrao is a green tea that you drink with a metallic straw and a cuica which is made with a dried and hollow fruit. If you have been to those parts of the world you would have seen people drinking it while waiting for the bus, while at the parks or even driving to go to work. Now you may ask - Why a girl that was brought up in Sao Paulo, a city that is 18 hrs drive away from the south is so concern about not have drunken it this winter when we had awfully cold weeks this year? The answer is simple. Because I'm too slow. I forgot that such a drink has ever existed even though that when I was in London, facing harsh weather I asked my dad to send the cuia and 2kg of the herb every winter.

Anyway, today I am having my first one this winter and I'm quiet proud of myself because I introduced chimarrao to a gaucha (girl from the south of Brazil!) and I think I can get her addicted to it!! ;-)

Cheers!!

3 comments:

Bettina said...

When you're referring to the gaucha, I assume you're talking about me? Metade Brasileira, metade Suica? Well, it's crazy I haven't tried this drink before seeing that it comes from the same place as me :-) but let's see- maybe you can get me addicted to it. You love getting me addicted to stuff, don't you?

Lélly Abranches said...

Me??? NEVER EVER!!! I have no idea what you are talking about!! You and Paula got me addicted to shopping for shoes again. You got me addicted to GT and great nights in the valey... and the list goes on..haha
You are my little EVIL friend!!!
See you soon

Paulinha said...

Mi,
I´m pissed off now!!! I wish you had thought about it before because I love chimarrao but I don´t think I´ll get any in the Baiano winter... specially while I go to the beach hehehehehe...
I hope you´ve been well. I´ll replay to your email soon.
Beijao!!!!!